History Of Parish
Archbishop Karl J. Alter, on June 22, 1953, appointed Father James N. Lunn to organize a parish in the Groesbeck area. It was to be named St. Ann after a church that served well the West End of Cincinnati from 1866 to 1938.
The first Masses were celebrated on June 28, 1953 in the Groesbeck Community Hall which was then located on Colerain Avenue.
Attendance was between 600 and 700 people.
Ground was broken on December 6, 1953 for a school, a portion of which was to serve temporarily as the church. Dedication of the school was held on September 19, 1954. Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio had arrived in August.
The convent and rectory were built in 1955 and 1956, and 1956 also brought St. Ann’s first assistant priest.
In August 10, 1958, ground was broken for the Church and cafeteria.
On June 28, 1959, the sixth anniversary of the parish, the Church and cafeteria were dedicated.
A ten room addition was completed to the school in 1961, and in 1963 work was completed on enlarging the convent and attaching it to the school, along with a new wing containing four additional classrooms.
On June 2, 1977, St. Ann Parish began the process of planning which led to a renovation of the worship area. The renewed Church and Monsignor Lunn Parish Center were dedicated by Archbishop Joseph L. Bernardin on December 4, 1980.
The second church renovation was completed and dedicated October 31, 2004.
On October 31, 2010, the St. Ann Grotto and Prayer Walk were dedicated. The Grotto is at the north end of the lower parking lot, and the beginning of the prayer walk. The prayer walk is a lighted path with fourteen stations. There are also benches along the way so those who want can sit and meditate and pray for a time.
In October, 2013 the St. Francis Center (former convent/friary) went through a renovation. It currently houses the parish offices as well as meeting rooms.
In Febraury, 2015 enhancements were made to the Church, to remind us who we are and who we are to worship. Stainglass windows were added to the Baptistry to represent the seven Sacraments.